Tools for Working Remotely
ATSU recognizes the value and benefits of employees being able to work from off-campus locations. The University offers a variety of technology-related services to help faculty and staff work from anywhere they can get connected to the Internet.
Services specific to each individual
There are a variety of secure methods that allow you to work remotely when the need arises. Please submit a ticket to the Service Desk so they can discuss your specific needs and advise you of the best method for you. Service Desk staff will then make recommendations, install the best remote application for you, or in some cases, give you detailed instructions for self installation. Some remote services like MS Dynamics or CampusVue are available by secure methods to specified users with the approval of a supervisor.
Below are two self-serve connection suggestions
Many times needed access can be achieved by the self-service options below, which don’t require special installations.
Option 1: The ATSU portal (https://my.atsu.edu) is available to all faculty, staff and students with Internet access. It can provide users with secure access to shared network files and specific applications. Faculty and staff can access personal files (commonly referred to as your G and H drives), by clicking on the “My Files” button in the upper right corner of the ATSU portal. Some applications like Email are listed within the “My Tools” folder in the ATSU portal and are available to all users.
Option 2: Additionally, Google services can be accessed from anywhere you have Internet access. This includes access to your Gmail, Google Drive, Calendar and many other Google services
Remote access puts systems at higher risk of attacks and unauthorized access, which represents a higher risk to the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of University information. The University does not have control over the remote connection or the devices; therefore, additional precautions should be taken by employees when working remotely.
If you access University information or systems remotely, ITS encourages you to consider the following:
- Use anti-virus software and keep it updated to protect against the latest threats.
- Keep operating systems and applications up to date by applying all critical software patches.
- Protect devices and University information on devices from theft or inappropriate access.
- Protect passwords used to remotely access University information, and don’t share them with other people.
- Don’t use the “remember my password” feature when accessing University information.
- Use encryption whenever possible when storing University information on devices.
- Remove University information from devices when it is no longer needed.
- Keep others from viewing the screen on devices when accessing University information.
- Be aware of the increased risk of infection before transporting University information on portable storage devices, e.g., thumb or external hard drives.
- Keep in mind that other people may be able to intercept online activity when using public or shared Wi-Fi or computers, such as those in Internet cafes, non-ATSU libraries, or airports.
- Always delete locally saved files on public or shared computers.
- Do not walk away from a machine connected to the University
- Always logout of the computer when finished with your connection.
- Contact the ITS Service Desk if a device containing University information is lost, stolen, or compromised.