Student Email Alias
**Currently in testing and Restricted to a small group of students,**
Check back in April 2020, when testing is finished, to see if the group has opened to all ATSU students.
What is an email alias?
An alias is an alternate address for sending/receiving email.
ATSU student email addresses currently use the SA123456@atsu.edu format by default. A group of student volunteers is currently testing the use of an alias, which would allow students to send/receive email using a more descriptive name such as firstname.lastname@example.org. The test group represents all ATSU schools and will provide feedback to the ITS department to determine if the use of email aliases would benefit all students.
How do I request a student email alias?
* Currently this service is only available to the student test group *
When testing is complete, students can request an alias by completing this Student Alias Request Form.
Sending from an alias address
- To send an email with your alias, choose Compose and click the down arrow to the right of your original ATSU email address. You will see the alias listed.
Can an alias be used to login to ATSU services?
- No. Your unique identifier (ex. SA12345) is used to login to all services
Can I use an alias when sending with a non-Google email client?
- No. To send email using an alias, a Gmail client (or browser) must be used
How the alias account looks to the recipient
- If your recipient uses Outlook or another mail service, they might see something like, “From email@example.com on behalf of firstname.lastname@example.org.”
- Your recipients might also see your original @gmail.com address if you:
- Set up an out of office reply
- Create a filter with an automated response
- Have a full mailbox, and your recipient gets notified
Looking up an alias address in the Google Contacts Directories
- ATSU Directory
Alias addresses do not show up in the ATSU directory
- Personal Directory
- Alias addresses will appear in a personal directory
- After they have been manually added to a contact list
- After an email using the alias has been sent or received