Digital Badging at ATSU
A digital badge is a validated indicator of accomplishment, skill, quality, or interest that can be earned in many learning environments. Open digital badging makes it easy for anyone to issue, earn, and display badges across the web—through an infrastructure that uses shared and open technical technical standards.
Currently, we have installed Badgr and Acclaim (Credly) APIs to work with ATSU’s instance of Canvas.
Automatically award module completion badges in Canvas courses to give students meaningful credentials that directly represent the skills and experiences employers are looking for.
- Enroll as a teacher in the course as module completion requirements may be tied to grades, which only teachers can access.
- Publish the course and modules (see Instructure’s How do I create a module?).
- Add module completion requirements (see Instructure’s How do I add requirements to a module?).
- Configure your course to award badges automatically.
- Create an issuer and badges in Canvas.
- Assign badges to modules.
- Trigger badge awards once the course begins.
Badgr Support: https://support.badgr.com
Credly empowers organizations to officially recognize individuals for demonstrated competencies and skills. Their mission is to connect people to opportunity based on their talent and capabilities. They believe in making meaningful achievements visible and unlocking access to a more diverse and qualified population. Credly and its partners are building the currency for the global marketplace of knowledge and skills.
How do I access Acclaim badges in my course?
ATSU is currently running a test pilot with the Arizona School of Dentistry & Oral Health. If you are interested in a test pilot for your program please create a support ticket.
What is the process that a faculty member would use to access the student badges awarded through Canvas?
They need to have access in Acclaim first as an issuer or admin. All that can be done in Canvas from the faculty perspective is issue badges and set rules. To view badges they need to use Acclaim.
Do faculty and students need to sign up for a Credly Acclaim account?
Yes, and you need to be invited to the platform to have specific access to issue badges.